THE GOOD NEWS ABOUT THE BAD NEWS
Bad news seems to be the only news that receives any news these days. Of course there is a lot of bad news to report, but I am fully convinced there is equally, if not infinitely more good news that deserves to be promoted.
After all, the Word of God teaches us clearly that, “whatsoever things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely and are of good report, if there be any virtue and praise, think (meditate) on these things” Philippians 4:8.
Simply put He tells us that, even as the bad news comes into our minds, we must strive to allow the things of God to dominate our thought life. Here is a personal example:
Recently I was listening to a speech given by President Ronald Reagan on June 8, 1965 titled “How Long Do We Have?” Here is what the President said,
About the time our original thirteen states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years earlier:
- A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
- A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.
- From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by dictatorship.
- The average age of the world’s greatest democratic civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years.
- During those 200 years, those nations always progressed through the following sequence:
- from bondage to spiritual faith;
- from spiritual faith to great courage;
- from courage to liberty;
- from liberty to abundance;
- from abundance to complacency;
- from complacency to apathy;
- from apathy to dependence;
- from dependence back into bondage
When I heard that and was reminded of the state of affairs that currently exist in our nation, my first thought was, “Oh Lord, if this is true, the only thing we face is back to bondage!” But after clearing my thoughts, I realized that this is not totally true, at least concerning America.
Here is the GOOD NEWS about this apparent BAD NEWS.
America is not a Democracy. Democracies fail because they are dependent upon the wishes and whims of the masses. Those are nations that are ruled and shaped by the “mob of current opinions.” America would be doomed if we allowed such in our society.
America is a Constitutional Republic. Our system of government and laws are based upon the U.S. Constitution and its Amendments and not on the whims of some political or social group with their current agenda.
That is why the liberal/progressive/socialist leaning media, judges, educators, politicians etc., are constant in their efforts to attack and change our Constitution and Bill of Rights.
This one document, founded upon common sense and the principles of the Judeo-Christian faith is America’s strong and lasting foundation for freedom and liberty both now and tomorrow. But far above all is the hand of God who has shaped us and preserved us as a nation.
So there you have it…a classic example of moving our thoughts from the fearful and negative mindset into confidence and hope for tomorrow. Forgetting politics, the confusion of the news media and all the rest of the sewerage that competes for our thoughts, we can ‘think on that which is good.”
Dr. Richard Lee
There’s Hope America